Over 800 students attend 2022 FVHS prom

Students from Fuquay-Varina High School celebrate an in-person prom after several years of not being able to attend prom because of the pandemic.

Olivia Del Pinal , Staff Writer

After two years without a prom due to COVID, the class of 2022 and 2023 finally had a chance at normalcy and had an in-person prom. On Saturday, May 7 more than 800 students descended upon Goels Plaza for Fuquay Varina High School’s prom. 

Prom was a very exciting and meaningful event for the FVHS upperclassman. It is the one night of the year when students get to dress up in formal attire and participate in activities surrounding a dance. 

“I was so excited to be finally back to normal, and going out and seeing everyone back together for my final two weeks of high school was very special,” said Nicole Carroll, FVHS senior. 

The prom committee is comprised of a combination of juniors and seniors. The junior class representatives on student council are those who make the majority of the decisions for prom. The students meet at the beginning of the school year to review themes, look at decorations, and develop an overall plan for the year, according to Jenny Burgess. The students then decorate on the Friday before prom.

“We ordered the decorations first, then determined the theme of The Serenity Garden after that,” said prom committee member and FVHS junior Sophie Behrendt.

One of the many ways prom was returned to normalcy was to have a prom court and name a prom king and queen. Prom court consisted of Rebecca-Lynna Holmes, Savannah Thompson, Taryn Wheaton, Madison Davis, Lexi Sonnendecker, Hunter Dupree, Silas Porter, Caden Castle, AJ Hollingsworth, and Jackson Barker. AJ Hollingsworth was crowned prom king and the prom queen was Taryn Wheaton. 

“I was so happy to win prom queen and was so thankful for everyone who voted for me and AJ,” said senior Taryn Wheaton. 

Prom often serves as one of the senior’s final high school memories. “It is something I’ll always remember and a night I’ll never forget,” added senior AJ Hollingsworth. 

Many boys rented tuxedos for the event and countless hours were spent shopping for dresses and scheduling appointments for hair, nails, and tanning for the girls. “My date waited until the last minute to rent a tux for prom,” said junior Chloe Bailey. “Fortunately, he was able to find a perfect match for my dress by renting through VIP Formal Wear.”

According to Jenny Burgess, Fuquay had over 800 students attend prom, making this a record number of students for FVHS. In the past, the highest number of students that attended prom was around 700. 

Prom memories will last forever. Luckily, these juniors and seniors will be able to share their stories from this night for many years to come.