Girls Soccer Kicking into high gear

Senior+Captain+Faith+Cunningham+gets+a+defense+stop+and+kicks+the+ball+back+towards+her+teammate+making+a+run+on+the+sideline+

Photo courtesy of Elisa Candleana

Senior Captain Faith Cunningham gets a defense stop and kicks the ball back towards her teammate making a run on the sideline

Jackson Reinert, Sports Editor

Now past the halfway of the season the Fuquay Lady Bengals are 10-0-1 in conference with a total record 12-2-2. Their record is good enough to be first in conference having a eight-game win streak going into their next game against Corinth Holders.

The 2021-2022 team is coached by assistant coach Megan Gannon and Head Coach Nick Acosta.

The Lady Bengal’s season began a little rough, 0-2-1, but they kicked into conference play with a bang. The Bengals won four out of their next fives games and only tying to Cleveland in a late overtime thriller.

With this momentum going forward, Coach Acosta is very pleased with his team’s play. “The talent in the group speaks for itself,” said Acosta, “so if we focus on those things as coaches, our expectations will be met.”

“My favorite moment was the holly springs game my junior year when everyone was really hype and the entire team cheered each other on.” said Vienna Page, a senior for the girls team about her time as a bengal.

Lauren Ulrich, another senior for the girls team

has enjoyed the friendships she’s made on and off the pitch. “Not only have the girls I’ve played with been my teammates, but they have also become some of my best friends all throughout high school,” Ulrich said. “I cherish my teammates and coaches for making me a better player and an even better person, and I wouldn’t have wanted to play and be a part of any other team.”

Ulrich also emphasizes to fish strongly this season. “We can continue to work hard, if not work harder and play for each other to win.”

As seniors reflect on their time at Fuquay, the team still continues to work hard to finish the season at the top.

Coach Acosta emphasized the impact of this senior group. “We will be losing some really talented ladies this season who have had a crazy high school soccer experience,” Acosta said, “Those seniors are pushing, encouraging and passing along advice to our younger group of girls who are in the program, whether junior varsity or varsity.”

Coach Acosta lastly went into the future of this program he has built with assistant coach Gannon has to offer. “Coach Gannon’s group is having the most successful season since I have been a part of FVHS,” Acosta said.

“Between the JV group and the young talent we have on the Varsity squad the program has the ability to continue to be successful in the future.”

While conference play continues and soon comes to a close, Fuquay has capitalized on their tough defense and impeccable goalkeeping only allowing two goals in conference play, placing them #1 in conference.

The Lady Bengals will continue to fight to the very end of their so far terrific season.