FFA holds successful annual plant sale

Annie Myers, Staff Writer

Every year, the FVHS FFA (Future Farmers of America) hosts an event commemorating the progress that the Horticulture II class has made throughout the year. Catherine Moore is the Horticulture II teacher and FFA club advisor and in charge of the annual plant sale, held on April 9, 2022, and the students who ran it. 

FFA students sold the plants they have grown from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. “We just have most business on Saturday so I just felt like squishing it down to one day made it a little bit more productive,” Moore said. She also explained that the event used to be held on a Friday after school but not as many people showed up on a workday. Ultimately, her judgment was right.

Moore said that the activity was required for all of the Horticulture II class and the students had impressively grown regular market goods all on their own. “We had vegetables and herbs so your normal veggies like tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, peppers,” she explained. “We also had some herbs, cilantro, parsley, oregano, chives, things like that, and we also had some onions. We also had annual plants, just like some pretty colorful flowers for hanging baskets and pots and stuff.” 

According to Moore, the shoppers were guaranteed that the goods were nice and healthy. She mentioned that the location of the new greenhouse was better and more exciting as you could see it once you drove past the school. 

Moore describes the average financial success as, “Typically very good, but it always varies. This one’s a little bit smaller because we’re starting from scratch because we have our brand new greenhouse.” This year, Moore said that the school managed to reach just under $5,000, which was around double the typical profit. 

FVHS’s brand new school means that activities held at this school are now –more than ever– extremely important for the staff and students as they adapt to the new changes. Last year, most students changed from virtual learning to in-person learning, and many students had a major change in their social life. Moore claims that during this period, many people began gardening as an at-home hobby. 

Still, Moore mentioned that those who came out to support the FFA and Horticulture students with a huge sale was one way to praise student life here at FVHS.