B lunch harming students?

Annie Myers, Staff Writer

Most students at Fuquay-Varina High School wake up between five and seven in the morning for school, and of those students, many don’t even eat breakfast. With that being said, the majority of students who have ‘B’ lunch wait a whopping five to seven hours before being confronted with another meal. Why is this an issue? It’s an unhealthy routine for teenagers and children and here is why.

“Teenagers shouldn’t go more than four hours without eating,” wrote Katherine Harmer, a dietician and nutritionist on the fueling teens page, “so a snack is needed between this time period to give an extra boost of energy as teens work on homework, sports practice, after school jobs, chores, clubs, social activities, etc.

Beatriz Moreira, a sophomore at FVHS also agrees with this idea, saying that there should be a “snack time” during the day. 

So, what would be the benefits of a snack time during the day? “A snack at the right time between meals prevents major hunger pangs and gives your child an energy boost to keep him studying and playing hard at school,” said Michelle Fisk from the Healthfully page. 

If administration could possibly fit in a 10-15 minute snack time during the second or third period, it might be the thing that keeps students from grabbing a snack from their bag in the middle of class, not to mention the many health and attention benefits since students wouldn’t go hungry. 

Choosing empty calorie meals for lunch won’t help either, as stacking loads of simple carbs on top of one another only makes students temporarily energized and won’t keep them full for long, which is why it’s encouraged that students eat healthy meals in the day and do not miss breakfast. Adding foods with healthy fats keeps students fuller for a longer time, like a variety of nuts and seeds.

“Working all morning at school burns up a lot of energy, so children need healthy lunches to refuel,” wrote the Harvard Health Publishing writers. “Children also need lunch to provide enough energy and nutrients to keep healthy and grow as well as possible.”

Eating healthy meals throughout the day will keep students’ energy running. Whether they have sports practice after school or tons of homework to complete, eating balanced meals helps kids to be energized throughout it all. 

Many don’t know this, but using your brain actively during the day (especially in school) burns calories on its own.

“Different mental states and tasks can subtly affect the way the brain consumes energy,” added Markham Heid in the Does Thinking Burn Calories? Time article. With this in mind, students could really use a supplement of food to boost their mood and motivation. 

Considering the idea of a snack in the day could possibly change the eating habits of students at FVHS and may improve the mental and physical performance of many growing students.